I had finally turned in at 1:20AM, after returning from Pasir Laba’s Live Firing with our post –range admin done; up the hill, waterproofing those machines form the Pits of Molten Mud, under the starry night.

Just the walking up of the hill had been a pretty grueling session as I’ve done so umpteen times for the last few days, which had destroyed one of my boots.

Encik Teo had given us a Lightsabre, which was to guide our way through the darkness of the night; all armed with trash bags, and “job’s done (WC2)” was done at 12:40AM.

The walkie talkie had been buzzing non-stop and phones ringing much more often than during my non-COD days…”good business”.

The day had also been sweltering as we stayed outfield waiting to move in for r epair works, under the heat of the sun and the Sandman’s Chant of the familiar sounds of the forest insects. 98.7 FM kept me company in the wilderness while slumbering on the pillars of training shed, with little or no reception.

Those who had done much were given the green light to RTU, while I stayed back with the rest; being a Platoon Sergeant, I had my role to keep and take care of the men who are with me out in the field.

Comments (0)