This dates all the way back to 1994 when I was introduced to this sport in East View Secondary School, where I attended the express technical stream. Ruisheng, one of my close buddies back then, just started out riding with Weixiong and James, whom the former was really a pro. He could even do floater just like this when he borrowed a flatland bike from a student he doesn’t know, and after he pulled off the trick, the student asked his friend to help Weixiong to carry his bag…phew! Heard from Ruisheng that Weixiong was riding a Haro Ground Zero frame, which was like riding an elephant! In those days of flatlanding, frames are better when heavier.

Favourite riding spots were in Pasir Ris Park, void decks near Weixiong’s home, Tampines Bus interchange and uncovered badminton courts in Tampines neighbourhood.

My first bike is a Haro Zippo, a hybrid of flatland and street riding, having a long frame with a thick lower tubing which was the trend of frames in that era of BMX flatland. Chromed parts were the in-thing back then too.

Cool frames include Black Sabbath designed by the legendary Chase Gouin,

Chase Gouin

followed by Hoffman’s Big Daddy designed by Kevin Jones,

Kevin Jonesthe Father of flatland. More about these 2 riders will be introduced later.

I remember I arrived at East Coast Park and that’s where I got to know Weixiong personally and also saw James, plus a few other riders like Ah Pui (fatty) – his chrome frame noticeably had “Emergency Exit” sticker ripped from SBS buses across the lower tubing, Rexon (Ruisheng calls him ‘dua kang song’) – will say that he’s tired whenever Ruisheng asks him to perform a trick that he claims that he can do.

Introduction to the 1994 riders:

Weixiong’s really pro in his riding and though he is good, he isn’t arrogant and consistently encouraging me as I was learning new tricks as I was a new rider back then. Graded Singapore #5!

James is a little different, he’s good but has some weird behaviour and often picks on Ruisheng who was pretty new back then too. Can’t comment much about him as I do not know him well in person, but definitely remember the Gyrate trick, which he was able to spin off in a tight circle at a really high speed.

Ah Pui? Haven’t spoke to him before but he’s pretty quiet…as for Rexon, I needn’t explain further…haha…

Oh yes, not to forget another rider by the name of Andy who sports long hair like Ekin Cheng, harnessing the nick of “scuffer king”, well known for his scuffing tricks.

Ah Guan, who sports a Wickerson fork (extra long forks that reach beyond the axle pegs), and likes to “nod” his head when he rolls in Cliffhanger. There’s a joke Ruisheng cracked on this, that goes “Ah Guan, treat me a meal” and he goes “mm mm” agreeing as he nods his head to the rolling momentum of Cliffhanger, and the next phrase “Ah Guan, give me your bike” and he gets startled and falls off his bike. Yes, he’s also

Will: Don’t know him that well but I read up about him in Bobby Carter’s page whom I got to know online.

Next up the line we have John, Singapore’s #3 who rides a full chromed bike which was known to cost $1200. Learnt that he works in a factory in Eunos and stays in private apartment in Kembangan. Eeks…sidetrack sidetrack!

Coming up higher will be Vincent aka Ah Kok, Singapore #2 who could do a backwards Abubaka into a Decade after rolling down from kerb.

Singapore #1, Andre Reyes: Only met him once during the later part of my riding days. He stunned me with his Mid-air Axle Pegstand Decade. Heard he went to US for studies with his flatland bike, and came back as a pro!

When I was sometime into the sport, Ruisheng was pretty good and managing to do dumptruck and scuffing them really well, some riderse were quitting and he “blamed” me and asked me why I started to ride…welll, since I’ve started, I should ride on.

Fast forward into the future, I came back into riding scene in Jun 06 after watching a series of flatland videos in YouTube, and got in touch with Jiawei whom had been riding with the bunch of old riders which I’ve abovementioned. It turned out that he also knew Gerald whom I didn’t mention as I didn’t see him till we went to down to Citylink though I’ve heard about him from Ruisheng.

Some updates about the riders:

Quitted:
Ah Guan: Turned real tough-built as he was enlisted into Divers during NS back then.
John: Unsure of what he is doing now
Vincent: Married with child
Andy: Driving a sports car
James: Heard he’s a father now

Riding on:
Andre
: Still riding (YES!)
Gerald: Still riding all these years…he’s really a pro like Will and Andre.
Will: Riding an Ares for Ladies frame, a real tiny frame and sports a beard with snowcap like a Jap hip boy down the street.

Alas, I blame it on my lack of discipline and consistency back then as I had no more riding companions since Ruisheng quitted. Weixiong has been busy with church ministry though his Morales is still at home…I’m sure he’ll come back to ride if he has the chance…this guy really has talent riding man…Ah Guan calls him “Rubber” due to his agility in tricks…haha…

I still keep those flatland pics which I printed from my Canon printer back then. They bring back so much memories.

Though I’m not as actively riding as those days, I managed to learn tricks in a pretty short frame of time:

Smoothie: 3 days
Cyclone: 7 days
Fire Hydrant: 9 days

Yes, they are basic tricks which I failed to learn properly back then. Thanks Jiawei, for teaching me the correct techniques of each trick and your patience throughout the month of Jun 06 – Jul 06.

Ride on, I will. Each rider develops their own unique style so I will need to ride on and upkeep the consistency to craft out the techniques with time.

Comments (0)